What is Poker?
Online Poker games are played with a standard 52-card deck of playing cards. The 52 cards are further grouped in to 4 different suits like spades, hearts, diamonds and clubs. This means there will be 13 cards with spade symbol, 13 cards with heart symbol, 13 cards with diamond symbol and 13 cards with club symbol, making the total of 52 in the deck of playing cards.
Fundamental Betting Decisions
In each suit type, there are 9 number cards plus 3 face cards and the Ace.
- The number cards are 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 with the respective suit symbol.
- The 3 face cards are with one face of the King, one face of the Queen, and one face of the Jack with the respective suit symbol
- The Ace.
This gives us the split for the 13 cards (9 + 3 + 1) in each suit like spades, hearts, diamonds, and clubs respectively.
There are different variants of Online Poker games. And, the rules for winning hands differ for each poker variant. The very commonly known poker games are:
- Texas Holdem Poker
- Omaha Poker
- Draw Poker
- Stud Poker
- Blaze Poker
- Razz Poker
The cards in the deck are shuffled and the specific numbers of cards are dealt to the poker players at the table as applicable for the poker variant being played.
- There are rules in place for how the cards have to be dealt.
- There are rules in place for how the cards are to be drawn by the players to make a winning poker hand.
- There are rules in place for what makes a qualifying poker hand to win the pot
- There are rules in place for blind bets and about who has to make the blind bet in each round
By playing in compliance with the rules of the poker game, the players who are able to make the best poker hand will win the pot (money) in each play. Each poker game is made interesting and challenging by the changes introduced in the rules for winning.
By applying mathematical logics and with the experience gained by playing many poker tables, the individual player should decide whether to bet and play ahead or to fold and forfeit the pot to avoid further loss.
"The goal of the poker game is to make a win or to let go with the least loss possible."
By applying poker math for the specific poker variant the individual player will be able to make the best decision for each of the draws.
When you start off to play a specific poker variant, be clear about the poker rules for the variant and the poker hand rankings applicable for the game. It helps to play well by making use of poker odds calculators and cheat sheets until you train your brain to do the math for you. This happens with experience. In short, poker is a brain game. It triggers your mathematical neurons! A great work out for your brain. When you play well, you really make some smart chunks of money.